ADVISORY: Unpacking Net-Zero Targets: A Briefing for Journalists
As momentum is growing for net-zero climate action in the lead up to COP26, we invite journalists to join us for an in-depth discussion on what constitutes an effective net-zero target for both governments and companies. Our experts from 2050 Pathways Platform and World Resources Institute will share the latest on the global state of play on net-zero announcements and dive into the details to help you evaluate the proliferating number of commitments.
Participants will come away with a better understanding of what to look out for and what questions to ask when it comes to net-zero targets, including:
- Do all countries need to meet the net-zero target at the same time to reach 1.5?
- What sectors and gases should be covered in net-zero targets?
- What role should international offsets play in net-zero? And how about carbon removal?
- What short-term actions are needed to make net-zero targets viable?
- How can we know targets are realistic and based in the best available evidence?
- Richard Baron, Executive Director, 2050 Pathways Platform
- Kelly Levin, Senior Associate, WRI Global Climate Program
- John Sottong, Senior Associate, Science-Based Targets Initiative
DATE: Thursday, September 17, 2020
TIME: 9:30-10:30am ET